Friday, December 14, 2012

Kumaon nostalgia - day 1


I step out of the train at Kathgodam and into another world. As other passengers run for shelter from the rain, I savor it, walking slowly and letting it fall on my hair. Through the station and into the car – I open the car window and let all my senses absorb this world. My eyes take in the green around me; I smell the foliage as the rain blows in against my face and neck. It’s not a walk down memory lane, rather like being cast into a sea of memories.  I reach out and touch them as they float by. Time has made each more beautiful – a bend in the road, the noisy river spanned by an ancient bridge, the teashop where time stands still, groups of hill folk walking under shared umbrellas, the rickety trucks – the only concession to modernization in these primeval hills. Even my thoughts slow down to acclimatize themselves to the gentle pace of these images that I pass. 

How I have changed in these many years since first I saw these sights. No matter how the city’s madness seeks to take over one’s life, a part of me lives here always; abides in these hills and valleys and forests waiting patiently till the rest of me returns. It is as if these inanimate things love me, offering me refuge and waiting with an enduring patience till they are needed – never judging, never recriminating, always ready with a healing balm to soothe and help me forget.  

 

1 comment:

  1. Most of us have sometimes returned to a place we once lived in. It's nothing extraordinary. But the way Ranjana describes her coming back to the hills is nothing short of beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Please do share your comments on my blog - I would love to hear from you.

Ranjana